Application apply summer program Foresight Prep @ Oberlin College application information, how to apply, requirements, deadline
Sign up now for the Foresight Prep email list to receive notifications about 2017 application key dates & deadlines, along with program updates and tips for creating change.
November 21, 2016: 2017 Application went live.
December 31, 2016: Early Bird discount: All (full tuition-paying) applicants who applied before the end of the year, if accepted, will receive a 25% discount on the $2,500 program tuition.
February 20, 2017: Priority application deadline for students seeking financial aid.
Scholarship applications are still encouraged and considered after this date on a funds-available basis.
March 17, 2017: Priority Placement Deadline:
Priority Placement Students will be informed of their placement and possible admittance by March 31st. These applicants will be more likely to be admitted to the classes requested in their application.
March 31, 2017: Student Essay Contest deadline—enter the #EmergencyPicnic Essay contest for a chance to win a full scholarship (regardless of financial need).
April 17, 2017: Application deadline.
Students are accepted on a rolling basis—all students are strongly encouraged to apply early, to ensure slots are available. Join our mailing list for regular updates!
- Complete the online application. We recommend you read the application thoroughly prior to completing it, and take adequate time to draft your answers, particularly to the short essay question.
- Supply a letter of recommendation from a teacher or mentor, using the linked form.
- Send high school transcripts. For international applicants, please include an english-language translation of transcripts, as well as a TOEFL score report, if available, showing a minimum score of 100 (internet), 600 (paper), or 250 (electronic). (If not sending TOEFL scores, please send comparable documentation of fluency, e.g. letter from english language instructor).
Mail these documents to:
Foresight Design Initiative, att: Foresight Prep @ Oberlin
4619 N. Ravenswood Ave, Unit 305
Chicago, IL 60640
- If applying for financial assistance, complete the scholarship application.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Foresight Prep Staff in collaboration with Oberlin College's Office of Admissions. Decisions are made on a rolling basis.
- This program is targeted toward all current high school students. While many participants are rising juniors and seniors, interested students who are rising sophomores and graduating seniors are strongly encouraged to apply. For graduating seniors, Foresight Prep @ Oberlin's emphasis on experiential learning through the execution of research projects provides a useful "bridge" to college coursework.
- Students from all countries are welcome. International students are responsible for acquiring a valid U.S. Visa to enter the country.
What Are We Looking For?
While the program seeks students with a responsible record of academic persistence, its highest priority is identifying students who exhibit the capacity to think critically about pressing social and environmental challenges, the passion to address them, and the desire to develop their own skills in order to more effectively solve problems and create change.
Though applications are read with a critical eye, Foresight Prep students are often a self-selective group, drawn to the course by their desire to create positive change. The final cohort of students is assembled with consideration of experiential, geographic, racial and economic diversity.
Many application-related questions are included in our FAQ.
Jenny Goldsmith, Program Manager, is happy to hear from you at anytime: